Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 Sunflower hearts Madge - Sun, 25 Oct 13:52
Sunflower hearts Impy - Sun, 25 Oct 14:23
Sunflower hearts joanna - Mon, 26 Oct 16:48

Sunflower hearts Date: Sun, 25 Oct 13:52
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Snce filling 2 of my hanging bird feeders with sunflower hearts I have had visits from more birds including a charm of goldfinches and a greater spotted woodpecker as well as the usual bluetits. What do other Oggies use to feed their birds from feeders? I put nothing on the ground as I have had a rat problem in the past. I also have a small ornamental bird table over my bird bath at which robins and blackbirds feed when food isn't gobbled up by collar doves and wood pigeons! On there I put a mix of bird seed, raisins and Atora shredded suet. Neither place is easily accessible to lazy Lucy so she either sits under them or romps down the garden in pursuit of pigeons, which she never catchesemoticon

Sunflower hearts Date: Sun, 25 Oct 14:23
Author: Default User IconImpy Location: Garden of England Profile
I don't feed the birds on the ground either using both my bird feeding station or bird table, the feeding station has feeders with sunflower hearts, wild bird mix, fat balls, nyjer seed and on occasions peanuts, I don't always put out peanuts as these now seem to be the least favourite food, on the bird table I put wild bird seed, chopped apple and the odd broken up pieces of bread plus a suet/mealworm block. In between the 2 feeding places stands my bird bath, we get quite a nice variety of birds all year but more now the weather is turning colder, regular visitors are goldfinches, greenfinches, dunnocks, robin, blue tits, great tits, starlings, collared doves, wood pigeons and increasing more often jackdaws, crows and magpies. Wrens, chaffinches, coal tits, woodpeckers (both green and great spotted) and jays visit but not so often, recently we have also had a visit from the Little Egret but he wasn't after food on the table/feeder but food from my pond emoticon

Sunflower hearts Date: Mon, 26 Oct 16:48
Author: Custom Iconjoanna Location: Cornwall Profile
I have a bird feeding station on which I put out mixed wild bird seed, fat balls, and shredded fat pieces. Sometimes I put apples cut in half on the ground for the blackbirds. When I first moved here I was visited by a lot of chaffinches and never saw a sparrow. But now five years later, I hardly ever see a chaffinch, but have dozens of cheeky sparrows gobbling everything up. I thought they were seed eaters, but they love the fat. I'm not sure why the change in species. I also have great tits, blue tits, robins, dunnocks, wrens, occasionally jays,long tailed tits and goldfinches, once a greater spotted woodpecker (who alerted me to the rotting fascia board on the house and once a buzzard ripping up my grass to eat worms or insects!

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat