Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 Hedgehogs - "Autumn hoglets or orphans" David aka Hedgehog - Mon, 21 Sep 15:20
Hedgehogs - 'Autumn hoglets or orphans' Madge - Mon, 21 Sep 15:59
Hedgehogs - 'Autumn hoglets or orphans' David aka Hedgehog - Tue, 22 Sep 21:26
Hedgehogs - 'Autumn hoglets or orphans' David aka Hedgehog - Tue, 22 Sep 21:33

Hedgehogs - "Autumn hoglets or orphans" Date: Mon, 21 Sep 15:20
Author: Custom IconDavid aka Hedgehog Location: Hinckley Profile
I almost can't believe that we have already reached that time of the year again! It's time to try to remind people to be on the lookout for small/ or very small hedgehogs, that as from in September at least, if they are only the size of an orange or grapefruit when curled-up, then they are very unlikely to have enough weight (at least 600 + grams by the end of October), for Winter hibernation.

We have just released two more hedgehogs back into the Wild, having been successfully rehabilitated, within the past couple of weeks - having both made a remarkable recovery! One was a very young "hoglet" who came from Lutterworth back in June, while another came along in late-July as an adult male out in the daylight. They were taken to our main Vets, and we carried on from there; (We have a long-established system with them). Both hedgies weighing about 800 g., and more good news - one whole week on from release, the Lutterworth one shown up last night, just after it had got dark.

Two others currently in care - one from Austrey, who also came through the Vets, and a very sick "youngish" hedgehog who shown-up in the garden on Saturday. It's currently a battle trying to keep him alive, needing rehydration fluid, etc. - fingers crossed he can be pulled through! The Austrey hedgehog's tale is a much happier one - she now weighs almost 500 g. More to follow soon....

A number of pics have already been uploaded onto our Facebook page; I do hope to upload some on here for Oggies to see, as well.

Hedgehogs - 'Autumn hoglets or orphans' Date: Mon, 21 Sep 15:59
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Lovely to see you posting again David!emoticon Regretfully I haven't had a hedgehog in my garden for yearsemoticonemoticon

Hedgehogs - 'Autumn hoglets or orphans' Date: Tue, 22 Sep 21:26
emoticon Thanks Madge! I'm really sorry to read that you haven't seen any hedgehogs there, I would be saddened by that, too. I guess we are just lucky here to have them - this area seems to be a good hot spot for them.

Hedgehogs - 'Autumn hoglets or orphans' Date: Tue, 22 Sep 21:33
P. S. I do hear a lot about people having the best gardens in the world, but no hedgehogs, so that is a bit of a puzzle and lots of questions go around my head as to why. Will expand on that, sometime.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat