Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 growing wisteria joanii11 - Tue, 18 Aug 03:04
growing wisteria KathrynP - Tue, 18 Aug 10:32
growing wisteria Madge - Tue, 18 Aug 13:08
growing wisteria joanii11 - Mon, 24 Aug 23:27

growing wisteria Date: Tue, 18 Aug 03:04
Author: Default User Iconjoanii11 Location: jarrow Profile
It wasn't until I bought 2 climbing Wisteria plants that I read about them and didn't realise that they could take years to flower, if at all. I did buy them for their beautiful fragrance, looks and to cover a garden arch but now realise I will have a long, long wait. Is there anything g I can do to encourage flowers? Many thanks.

growing wisteria Date: Tue, 18 Aug 10:32
Author: Custom IconKathrynP Location: South Cumbria Profile
ours only took two years to flower. We have now had to re-route water pipes (running along the wall) to accommodate it. Either that or cut a large piece of stem out. It is flowering now for the second time this year. It is south facing and in the very narrow border at the side of the house - no bigger than 12 inches. Maybe that is the answer - keep it root bound? Perfume is delicious and worth any inconvenience.

growing wisteria Date: Tue, 18 Aug 13:08
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
This Youtube video may help:

https://youtu.be/fs3NlkLriUw

Give it sun: Wisteria will grow in partial shade, but it needs at least six to eight hours of full sun to bloom best. You can encourage flowering by pruning heavily in the summer and then root-pruning in late fall: Starting about 4 feet from the trunk, cut 18 inches down into the soil with a spade, circling the trunk. This process tends to "shock" plants back into flowering.

Additional info: Plants grown from seed can take 10 to 15 years or longer to bloom. If you know your plant was grown from seed, you may want to take it out and start over. Before purchasing a replacement, check with your nursery about how their wisteria were propagated, and be sure to buy one propagated by grafting or cutting. This will greatly shorten the time to flowering.

Fertilize wisteria in the late spring with a 0-20-0 fertilizer. This is also known as superphosphate or bone meal. Apply the fertilizer at a rate of 3 to 5 pounds per 100 square feet. Do not apply fertilizer that contains nitrogen to wisteria as too much nitrogen will cause the leaves of the plant to prosper at the expense of blooming.

growing wisteria Date: Mon, 24 Aug 23:27
Author: Default User Iconjoanii11 Location: Jarrow Profile
Thank you for your answers. They are really helpful. Just like me to buy plants grown from seed!

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat