Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 Two ways to stop plant pests Brian & Elaine - Mon, 20 Jul 03:01
Two ways to stop plant pests Madge - Mon, 20 Jul 05:26
Two ways to stop plant pests Owdboggy - Thu, 23 Jul 14:21
Two ways to stop plant pests William Parsons - Thu, 30 Jul 08:01
Two ways to stop plant pests Madge - Mon, 17 Aug 12:54

Two ways to stop plant pests Date: Mon, 20 Jul 03:01
Author: Default User IconBrian & Elaine Location: Nanango, Queensland, Australia Profile
First, stop slugs and snails from attacking your pot plants by wrapping some Christmas tinsel around the rims of the pots.

Second, wipe out flying insect pests by acquiring some small yellow pots (or painting existing pots yellow) and coating their outsides with a thick oil. Mount them upside down on stakes about 50cm above ground. The insects are attracted by the yellow colour and get stuck in the oil.

Two ways to stop plant pests Date: Mon, 20 Jul 05:26
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Thanks B&E, good tips!

Two ways to stop plant pests Date: Thu, 23 Jul 14:21
Author: Default User IconOwdboggy Location: England Profile
Trouble is that the oil does not discriminate between friend and foe.. So you could well be catching flying insects which you want to encourage, not kill.

Two ways to stop plant pests Date: Thu, 30 Jul 08:01
Author: Default User IconWilliam Parsons Location: Devon UK Profile
I agree with the above post. It is indiscriminate. I seen a pic that someone put on a forum of a woodpecker trying to get up a greasy pole. The grease was put on it to stop squirrels getting to the feeders. The poor woodpecker had grease all over its front.

Two ways to stop plant pests Date: Mon, 17 Aug 12:54
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I grow geraniums, pelargoniums and antirrhinums which I find slugs and snails do not like. I agree that oil would be bad for other wildlife.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat