autumn downunder Heather - Sat, 18 Apr 21:44
autumn downunder Dee - Sat, 18 Apr 23:53
autumn downunder Heather - Sun, 19 Apr 07:43
autumn downunder Myra - Mon, 20 Apr 05:59
autumn downunder Heather - Wed, 22 Apr 09:56
autumn downunder Heather - Sat, 18 Apr 21:42

autumn downunder Date: Thu, 16 Apr 21:21
Author: Custom IconMyra Location: New Zealand Profile
Greetings from NZ on a sunny autumn morning in the winter-less north. After a long lovely summer, a chill for a few days made us think of winter, down South had snow, but not up here. emoticon
My maple tree has started turning red and brown.

Coming up for Anzac day Commemorating 100 years since Gallipoli .

Sir Peter Jackson of Hobbit fame has created a vast diorama set up in Wellington's Dominion museum to be unveiled Anzac day 25th April NZ War gamers were recruited to paint the figures made of soldiers here, at Weta workshop.. with advisory from the former head of the defense force.. Depicting the battle of Chunuk Bair
3 sculptures arrived from Britain to assemble the scene. It has not been revealed how large it is, but is called massive and detailed to the last degree.

documented in detail on anzacdoirama.blogspot.co.nz

autumn downunder Date: Fri, 17 Apr 14:04
Author: Custom IconDee Location: Mid Suffolk Profile
Hello Myra ... Your Maple tree is donning its autumn colours .. whilst the Maple in my garden in Suffolk England ... is awakening to spring ... as are the other trees and shrubs.

The primula/primroses are mostly headless - having fallen prey to a flock of small brown birds ... they peck the heads of the flowers and leave the petals on the ground .. like confetti ...

autumn downunder Date: Sat, 18 Apr 21:42
Author: Custom IconHeather Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Profile
Hi Myra, I'm from Christchurch and it is getting cool down here. Our Autumn colours are a rich palette of reds and oranges and gold. Memorial Avenue is our main road leading to Christchurch International Airport and as it is lined with Maples, American Pin Oaks and Claret Ash trees it's a blaze of colour and a joy to see.
We're going up to Wellington to see Sir Richard Taylor's (Weta Workshops) ANZAC exhibition and will also see Sir Peter Jackson's one in the same visit. Wonderful tributes from both of them.
What part of Northland do you live in?

autumn downunder Date: Sat, 18 Apr 21:44
Hi Dee, We're enjoying Autumn's beauty but it's time for us to make sure cold and hungry little birds get plenty to eat, AND safely so we don't get little trophies brought inside.
All seasons are lovely aren't they? We're used to Autumn Easter but having also lived in the UK, Easter in Springtime is lovely too when everything is waking up.

autumn downunder Date: Sat, 18 Apr 23:53
Author: Custom IconDee Location: Mid Suffolk Profile
Hello Heather ... I can 'see' all the colours of your autumn ... I lovely image before I turn off my light and go to sleep ... ...

Enjoy (if that is the right word) your Centenary Anzac celebrations...

autumn downunder Date: Sun, 19 Apr 07:43
Dee thank you. I appreciate your sentiment. ANZAC to Australians and New Zealanders is like Armistace Day in the UK. It's sombre, reflective and dignified. My Dad was away in the Middle East for four years during WWII and I had a number of great uncles who went to Gallipoli, The Somme, Paschendale, Messiennes, three of whom were lost to WWI. One was evacuated out to one of the NZ Army hospitals in Brockenhurst, New Forest and when he died of his wounds he was buried in the Brockenhurst Parish Churchyard. It was all a horrid waste of all of those lives. ANZAC Day is when we wear our poppies.

autumn downunder Date: Mon, 20 Apr 05:59
Author: Custom IconMyra Location: New Zealand Profile
Hi Heather, yes you have wonderful autumn colour in Christchurch, emoticon We up here in Northland don't get cold enough for any real show. Just a few trees change over the hills

I watched on TV how they made those wonderful historic action soldiers for the centenary Anzac diorama, They used 3D printers to get accurate details. Awesome work, bringing the battle to life, so We shall not forget..

I am wearing my poppy all this week.

autumn downunder Date: Wed, 22 Apr 09:56
Indeed Myra. I'm afraid I lost three great uncles to WW1 so I will place poppies on the cenotaph at the Dawn Service - one for each of them.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat