Strang pigeon behaviour Madge - Tue, 24 Mar 16:59
Strang pigeon behaviour Brian & Elaine - Wed, 25 Mar 01:48
Strang pigeon behaviour Gill - Wed, 25 Mar 08:08
Strang pigeon behaviour Gill - Wed, 25 Mar 08:09
Strange pigeon behaviour Brian & Elaine - Thu, 26 Mar 23:51
Strange pigeon behaviour Impy - Sat, 28 Mar 20:11

Strang pigeon behaviour Date: Tue, 24 Mar 16:59
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I am watching a pigeon on my birdtable during a hailstorm with heavy rain. It is crouching down lifting each wing up in turn, as if to wash under its arms! Also holding its wings over its back as if to protect itself from rain. Seemed to enjoy the drenching and is now grooming. Is all this unusual or just standard pigeon behaviour?

Strang pigeon behaviour Date: Wed, 25 Mar 01:48
Author: Default User IconBrian & Elaine Location: Nanango, Queensland, Australia Profile
This behavior of pigeons is normal down here in parts of Australia where rain is not too common. The funniest birds though are Galahs who will hang upside down on power wires by one foot while twisting their necks and flapping their wings. They obviously enjoy a good shower and one that we had as a pet would do the same when we turned a hose with a sprinkler on him.

There is one odd thing that we noticed a couple of years ago - Rainbow lorrikeets eating meat. We would put seed out for them and other parrots and in another feeder we'd place mince for the kookaburras, butcher birds and magpies.

When the rainbows had had enough seed they'd hop over to the feeders with mince in. Just within the last few days there have been news items talking about this habit and how strange it is. One chap they interviewed who was feeding his lorries with mince said that he's been doing it for years and doesn't think it's strange at all.

So how many other things that birds have been doing for years that the 'experts' consider strange, is accepted as normal by country people?

Strang pigeon behaviour Date: Wed, 25 Mar 08:08
Author: Custom IconGill Location: Russell, NZ Profile
Hiya Brian, Rainbow Lorikeets don't eat seed or they shouldn't... they are nectar feeders. If you feed them seed it destroys the hairs on their tongue that they use for nectar feeding.

Strang pigeon behaviour Date: Wed, 25 Mar 08:09
Author: Custom IconGill Location: Russell, NZ Profile
And they shouldn't be eating meat... they must be very hungry.....

Strange pigeon behaviour Date: Thu, 26 Mar 23:51
Author: Default User IconBrian & Elaine Location: Nanango, Queensland, Australia Profile
I've never believed that Rainbows only sip nectar Gill. We never forced them or encouraged them to eat seed. They have bills that are specifically designed to crack open and eat seed as well as hairs on their tongues to soak up nectar. I believe that they were designed to have a varied diet like humans who can choose to be vegetarians or carnivores. This is borne out by the fact that many folk we know are having the same experience with lorries.

These so called 'experts' don't understand the habit either and think that it is rare. I think they are way off the mark and it is far from rare . . .

http://io9.com/bird-experts-horrified-to-discover-meat-eating-rainbo-1693536427

Strange pigeon behaviour Date: Sat, 28 Mar 20:11
Author: Custom IconImpy Location: Garden of England Profile
Madge, I think that is normal behaviour for a lot of birds, we see them and especially the collared doves and blackbirds doing the same thing.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat