Beware of Wolfbane! Jill ont - Sat, 8 Nov 00:48
Beware of Wolfbane! Dee - Sat, 8 Nov 09:54
Beware of Wolfbane! Owdboggy - Sat, 8 Nov 21:00
Beware of Wolfbane! Jill ont - Sat, 8 Nov 22:35
Beware of Wolfbane! Dee - Sun, 9 Nov 13:05

Beware of Wolfbane! Date: Fri, 7 Nov 20:00
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
A deadly plant so keep a lookout for it:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gardener-dies-after-brushing-against-deadly-wolfsbane-flower-on-millionaires-estate-9845675.html

Beware of Wolfbane! Date: Sat, 8 Nov 00:48
Author: Default User IconJill ont Location: Ontario Canada Profile
Also known as Monkshood . I have grown it in my garden for years. It is sold in nurseries throughout Canada and has never caused any harm in handling it. I know it is poisonous if ingested. A friend of mine has always had it in her garden and she has lived in her house for over 40 years. Most strange.

Beware of Wolfbane! Date: Sat, 8 Nov 09:54
Author: Custom IconDee Location: Mid Suffolk Profile
Last year my sister sent me three plants for my birthday, one of them had a warning ref toxicity and allergies ... and was from the same family as the Wolfbane ...As a precaution, I did plant it where brushing against it wouldn't occur, and I did wear my gloves when handling the plant...

Beware of Wolfbane! Date: Sat, 8 Nov 21:00
Author: Default User IconOwdboggy Location: England Profile
Another one of these silly stories that seem to be doing the rounds these days.
You would have to do a lot more than brush past Aconitum for it to do you any harm. We have about a dozen species and forms in the garden and as long as one does not eat them, they are not going to do any harm
Let's face it the garden is full of toxic plants. What about Foxgloves? Euphorbias? Sweet Peas? All members of the Solanum family? Even Rose prickles can kill (How many deaths have there been from Tetanus given by a rose prickle?) Apple pips contain Cyanide as do the berries of Abronia (Chokeweed,) but the juice makes a delightful jam. People eat the young shoots of Phytolacca americana, but it is poisonous when mature.
I could go on, but i think the point is made that care is needed in the garden and that the danger is over stated.

Beware of Wolfbane! Date: Sat, 8 Nov 22:35
Author: Default User IconJill ont Location: Ontario Canada Profile
You left out Rhubarb. leaves toxic but the stalk is fine. The plant to be aware of is Giant Hogweed, the sap from that can cause nasty burns. Rue is one that is likely to cause a few tingle if brushed against. I have never had any trouble with Wolfbane . I have grown the blue the bicolour and a pretty pink dug it divided it and never wore gardening gloves. Unless the person was very allergic to it I just cannot see it killing a person from brushing against it. I agree with Owdboggy.

Beware of Wolfbane! Date: Sun, 9 Nov 13:05
Author: Custom IconDee Location: Mid Suffolk Profile
Better to be safe than sorry ... who knows who is allergic to what, until it is too late.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat