A miniature wonder Psilo - Sat, 9 Aug 22:03
A miniature wonder Heather - Sat, 9 Aug 23:56
A miniature wonder Lisa58 - Mon, 11 Aug 15:17
A miniature wonder Melanie - Wed, 13 Aug 17:28
A miniature wonder Madge - Thu, 14 Aug 11:32
A miniature wonder Madge - Sat, 27 Sep 12:46

A miniature wonder Date: Sat, 9 Aug 22:03
Author: Default User IconPsilo Location: Bolton Profile
A week ago my eldest son and i were sat in the garden when we noticed a goldcrest very close by. I get alot of goldcrests in my garden. They are our countries smallest bird (smaller even that the tiny wren) and they are such beautiful plucky birds. I noticed that this particular bird keep flying to the same spot just above where I was sitting, so intrigued I went to look. It was incredibly difficult to spot but after some moments I found their nest. Beautifully camoflagued and interwoven between the junction of two small branches and topped with a large branch that gave it a roof it was an amazing sight. Even more amazing was that as i watched the chicks fledged right before my eyes. The nest measured only about 3 inches across and out of it came four beautiful healthy looking birds. In the past I have seen Magpies rob the nests of most of the birds that nest in my garden long tailed tits and finches so to see these chicks successfuly fledge was terrific. Not only had I never seen a Goldcrest nest before I have never seen a juvenile either. The adults were incredibly tame. Approaching me from no more than 6 feet away. It just goes to show what wonderful things can be found right under our noses if we take the time to really look!!

What baby birds and nests have u had in your gardens this summer?

A miniature wonder Date: Sat, 9 Aug 23:56
Author: Custom IconHeather Location: Christchurch, New Zealand Profile
We're still in Winter Psilo, but in our Spring and Summer we get NZ Bellbird, Willow warblers who have the most generous song for such a tiny bird, and Silver eyes. Lots of usual dunnocks, blackbirds and thrushes too. I feed them where our cats can't get at them..

A miniature wonder Date: Mon, 11 Aug 15:17
Author: Custom IconLisa58 Location: Pennsylvania Profile
We usually have American Robin babies and House Sparrow babies. I get to see the sparrows being fed and then fledge from the birdhouses we have on the side of our shed in the backyard. Much fun to watch! The Robins, however, are usually in a concealed nest in a tree or very tall shrub. Once in a while there is a robins egg on the ground with a hole poked in it. emoticon But we still get to watch the fun of Momma robin getting worms, etc and the panicky robin babies chasing her around the yard with their wings flapping and screaming something horrible! lol emoticon

A miniature wonder Date: Wed, 13 Aug 17:28
Author: Default User IconMelanie Location: Essex Profile
We seem to have had a second lot of baby birds here. The great tits have been all over the place one got into our bedroom though a tiny window. We got it outside and it flew away after a few minutes, we found a nest in the honeysuckle with a white egg left too.

A miniature wonder Date: Thu, 14 Aug 11:32
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I've just got a second lot of baby bluetits on my feeders so am watching Lucy like a hawk as when they swoop low they are very vulnerable to catsemoticon

A miniature wonder Date: Sat, 27 Sep 12:46
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I have had baby bluetits, starlings, blackbirds, collar doves, wood pigeons and a great spotted woodpecker feeding in my garden this morning while Lucy was asleepemoticon

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat