Which edible pea variety? Ben - Tue, 6 May 10:15
Which edible pea variety? Madge - Wed, 7 May 09:34
Which edible pea variety? Ben - Wed, 7 May 15:12
Which edible pea variety? Madge - Thu, 8 May 11:16
Which edible pea variety? Ben - Thu, 8 May 19:46
Which edible pea variety? Madge - Sat, 10 May 12:22

Which edible pea variety? Date: Tue, 6 May 10:15
Author: Default User IconBen Location: York - UK Profile
I've just bought a 60 x 40cm bean / pea grow bag for the patio. It has a 8hole cane clip which forms a conical teepee type structure.

I've bought some Scarlet Runner seeds (for lovely flowers and to eat)

Does anyone know what pea veriety I could grow along-side which will have the same qualities. TY emoticon

Which edible pea variety? Date: Wed, 7 May 09:34
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I wouldn't grow them in the same bag Ben as they both require a lot of nutrients and copious water.

Painted Lady is a nice runner bean for flowers as they are red and white. Are you gowing early or late peas?

Which edible pea variety? Date: Wed, 7 May 15:12
I'm yet to sew them. My pea and bean planter should arrive tomorrow( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARLAND-117-LTR-PEA-BEAN-GROW-BAG-WITH-FREE-BEAN-PEA-RING-VEGETABLE-PLANTER-/251385845655 ). Would this be ok to plant 4 seeds of each do you think? the "117 litre" claim doesnt appear to agree with the quoted dimensions. Any thoughts? I'm very new at this so I'm not sure about "Early or late or main" crops. The chap in the garden centre recommended "Kelvedon Wonder" peas so I got those. Any help or advice is always welcome emoticon

Which edible pea variety? Date: Thu, 8 May 11:16
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Kelvedon Wonder is a good early variety but IMO Avola is better for containers. It would probably be better to plant early peas with later beans. Beans bear prolifically so unless you have a family best to plant more peas than beans. Keep picking young beans so that more grow.Both are greedy plants so be prepared for lots of watering and feeding later in the season with a slow release general purpose feed. I would be inclined to have a grow bag for each because they have different needs but I realise this would be expensive.

Bean and pea seeds will keep for a couple of years if stored in a dry place so you could try a couple of varieties of each to see which does best. T&M do a Summer Medley with 3 varieties of bean for containers with red, white and pink flowers. I think Scarlet Runner is too vigorous for containers - can you swap them? You could also try mange tout if you like them.

Good Luck!

Which edible pea variety? Date: Thu, 8 May 19:46
I think you're right. It does say (early) on the packet. I dont really know the differences between early, late, main etc.. I'm very much a beginner. If you could enlighten me then that would be great. It also says "Dwarf variety " "container" on the pack. I waqs hoping to grow them anyway (or is this a bad idea)?

Also I got my Scarlet Empire bean seeds today. I planned to plant 4 of the peas and 4 of my beans in the same 8cane planter I bought. Should I plant them indoors 1st or plant them outside in-situ? Looks like its going to rain like mad here in Yorkshire for a week. Should I put holes in the bottom of my canvass planters and / or 24 litre rubber planters?

Thanks. I feel a bit lost with it all at the mo!

Which edible pea variety? Date: Sat, 10 May 12:22
Author: Default User IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Plant them out of doors but have a piece of garden fleece (or a lace curtain) ready to throw over them at night if it looks as if there is going to be a frost, which we could get until the end of May. (My grandfather always said not to plant out until Derby Day but we have fleeceemoticon)

Don't pierce the bag unless the instructions tell you to. I would assume they are porous or have small holes in them.

Early is for Spring flowering/picking, Mid is Summer and Late is Autumn. Scarlet Empire is an early variety.

Beans & Peas are subject to blackfly so it is a good idea to plant a nasturtium or marigolds nearby to attract the insects to their leaves instead of your crops! Only use insecticidal soap if you need to spray them.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/diseaseandpestcontrol/tp/Plants-That-Deter-Garden-Pests.htm

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat