Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 Not Making Compost Tony Brown - Tue, 22 Apr 16:11
Not Making Compost Dee - Tue, 22 Apr 16:56
Not Making Compost Tony Brown - Wed, 30 Apr 10:46
Not Making Compost Dee - Fri, 2 May 19:12

Not Making Compost Date: Tue, 22 Apr 16:11
Author: Default User IconTony Brown Location: The Lizard, Cornwall Profile
Does anyone know why my compost bin seems to have stopped turning edible waste into compost? For the past ten years at this time, the waste is usually first class but not this year.

Not Making Compost Date: Tue, 22 Apr 16:56
Author: Custom IconDee Location: Mid Suffolk Profile
All compostable materials are either carbon or nitrogen-based, to varying degrees. The secret to a healthy compost pile is to maintain a working balance between these two elements.
Carbon - carbon-rich matter (like branches, stems, dried leaves, peels, bits of wood, bark dust or sawdust pellets, shredded brown paper bags, corn stalks, coffee filters, conifer needles, egg shells, straw, peat moss, wood ash) gives compost its light, fluffy body.

Nitrogen - nitrogen or protein-rich matter (manures, food scraps, green lawn clippings and green leaves) provides raw materials for making enzymes.
A healthy compost pile should have much more carbon than nitrogen. A simple rule of thumb is to use one-third green and two-thirds brown materials. The bulkiness of the brown materials allows oxygen to penetrate and nourish the organisms that reside there. Too much nitrogen makes for a dense, smelly, slowly decomposing anaerobic mass. Good composting hygiene means covering fresh nitrogen-rich material, which can release odors if exposed to open air, with carbon-rich material, which often exudes a fresh, wonderful smell. If in doubt, add more carbon!

Not Making Compost Date: Wed, 30 Apr 10:46
Author: Default User IconTony Brown Location: The Lizard Profile
Thank you Dee for taking the trouble to advise me. As you may have guessed I am not a gardener but I love gardening.

Not Making Compost Date: Fri, 2 May 19:12
Author: Custom IconDee Location: Mid Suffolk Profile
Tony I cannot take the credit for the information posted ... I was quoting what I found from a search ... but the info seems to explain what could be the problem ...

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat