Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Brian and Elaine - Tue, 15 Apr 05:19
Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Impy - Tue, 15 Apr 08:04
Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Brian and Elaine - Tue, 15 Apr 08:16
Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Gill - Wed, 16 Apr 10:41
Flopsy the rescued kookaburra steve wood - Thu, 17 Apr 17:34
Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Madge - Fri, 18 Apr 13:08
Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Lisa58 - Fri, 18 Apr 18:04

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Tue, 15 Apr 05:19
Author: Default User IconBrian and Elaine Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Austral Profile
One morning, about 10 years ago, we found a young kookaburra flopping around on the ground in our back yard. We managed to catch it and put it in a cardboard box. We'd feed it twice a day, then take it out of the box and put it near a water bowl in the shade and each evening, put it back in the box covered with a tea-towel. It was unable to stand upright on its feet and was always flopping over on its nose - hence the name Flopsy.

Each day we went through the same routine. Out of the box, feed of chopped up meat, placed on the ground in the shade, watched on and off during the day and finally, another feed and back in the box.

This activity was kept up for a couple of weeks and each day Flopsy would be further and further from where we'd first put her in the morning. Then we noticed another kookaburra was keeping an eye on her and they eventually became mates. Every day this other kookaburra would arrive and watch us take Flopsy out of the box and feed her - then it began feeding her. One evening we couldn't find either of them and we hoped they'd set up house together.

Flopsy is still around and this year she and her mate have raised their 8th or 9th family. Twice a day she comes and sits in the tree right outside our kitchen window and waits for the cat's leftovers.

I'll post a picture of her in the album.

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Tue, 15 Apr 08:04
Author: Custom IconImpy Location: Garden of England Profile
That's a lovely story Brian, I am sure that deep in the recess on my memory you have mentioned Flopsy before so it is good to hear that she is still around.

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Tue, 15 Apr 08:16
Author: Default User IconBrian and Elaine Location: Blackbutt, Queensland, Austral Profile
You're right Impy, it was an event that just had to be recorded. I'm taking a stab at 10 years - I know it was a while ago.

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Wed, 16 Apr 10:41
Author: Custom IconGill Location: Russell NZ Profile
emoticon emoticon

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Thu, 17 Apr 17:34
Author: Default User Iconsteve wood Location: surrey Profile
Hi Brain really did enjoy reading your story it would be great to see some picture.

www.woodstreeandgardening.co.uk

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Fri, 18 Apr 13:08
Author: Default User IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Well done B&E - another bird rescuer on OGGemoticonemoticon

Flopsy the rescued kookaburra Date: Fri, 18 Apr 18:04
Author: Custom IconLisa58 Location: Pennsylvania Profile
What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing~ emoticon

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat