Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 installing a tiny pond in the back garden Tony Brown - Thu, 20 Feb 16:01
installing a tiny pond in the back garden Madge - Sat, 22 Feb 18:40
installing a tiny pond in the back garden Tony Brown - Sun, 23 Feb 08:51
installing a tiny pond in the back garden Madge - Sun, 23 Feb 18:02

installing a tiny pond in the back garden Date: Thu, 20 Feb 16:01
Author: Default User IconTony Brown Location: Cornwall Profile
Whilst out walking I found a baby's bathing bowl measuring about 3ft x 1.5ft and twelve inches deep and thought of making it into a little pond but I have no idea how to go about it, i.e. soil, plants, stones, fish???. Any suggestions folks?

installing a tiny pond in the back garden Date: Sat, 22 Feb 18:40
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Sink it into the garden and put stones around the edge. You could put bubble wrap around it to prevent freezing.You will need aerating plants from your local garden centre and water snails. For flowers plant one Salvia cardinalis for height and one small water lily which would be sufficient and a marsh marigold at the edge (on a brick). In summer plant Nemesia and mimulus round the edge as they like damp conditions. As it is shallow you may lose plants in the winter and have replenish them. If it attracts frogs be sure to place a large ball in it for air if it freezes.

(Edited.)

installing a tiny pond in the back garden Date: Sun, 23 Feb 08:51
Author: Default User IconTony Brown Location: The Lizard, Cornwall Profile
Hello Madge,
Many, many thanks for your advice. At first it looked too shallow and yet I'd seen a similar tiny pond somewhere on my travels and now there'll be one here too. So thanks again and very best wishes.
Tony

installing a tiny pond in the back garden Date: Sun, 23 Feb 18:02
Author: Custom IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I think it will be too small for fish and they also produce a lot of waste so need more air. I have a barrel pond without fish or pump etc and it has been OK with snails and aerating plants for 15 years. From time to time I get frogs and newts but a harsh winter will kill them.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat