Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 Food Banks Madge - Thu, 17 Oct 13:48
Food Banks joanna - Fri, 25 Oct 20:25
Food Banks Heather - Sun, 27 Oct 22:48
Food Banks Madge - Tue, 29 Oct 07:36

Food Banks Date: Thu, 17 Oct 13:48
Author: Default User IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I have spent the morning clearing out my food cupboard to find foodstuffs I have bought on impulse or that are non-diabetic and found I had quite a bit to give to the local food bank, who are coming to collect it on Friday. I also put in some cat food which Lucy has decided she doesn't like, which may help someone else's petemoticon

Perhaps OGGIes could do the same? If you type in 'food bank' in Google, and your local town, you will find that a contact address and phone number comes up. I have sent links to all four of my children and to my UK friends.

IMO it is SHAMEFUL that our rich country has come to this! emoticonemoticon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24536817

BTW food is not given out willy-nilly: You have to be referred by a 'care professional' such as:
A doctor
A social worker
A health visitor
The police
Somebody from the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB).

If you've been referred, you'll be given a voucher - which you should take to your nearest food bank. Once you're there your voucher can be redeemed for three days' worth of nutritionally balanced food.

Food Banks Date: Fri, 25 Oct 20:25
Author: Custom Iconjoanna Location: Cornwall Profile
Good for you Madge! Ours is in the local supermarket, so I always buy something extra to pop in the box. emoticon

Food Banks Date: Sun, 27 Oct 22:48
Author: Custom IconHeather Location: NZ Profile
We have food banks too. Mum's church have one also and one time someone donated spuds out of the garden and a young mother didn't know what to do with them. So the old girls at church got their heads together and next thing the people who were receiving the food parcels were encouraged to come down to the church hall where these old ladies taught them to cook, knit and all sorts. It meant young people were being taught life skills and the elderly ladies felt useful and productive again. There should be more of this.

Food Banks Date: Tue, 29 Oct 07:36
Author: Default User IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
Our local food bank hands out basic recipes with the parcels because it is true that many young people today do not know how to cook simple meals.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat