Home Over the garden gate forum
Back to Forum
 Butternut Squash Mrs O - Sat, 10 Aug 20:35
Butternut Squash Madge - Tue, 13 Aug 08:41
Butternut Squash kathrynp - Wed, 14 Aug 15:03

Butternut Squash Date: Sat, 10 Aug 20:35
Author: Custom IconMrs O Location: Lincolnshire Profile
I'm rather annoyed/disappointed emoticon 2 yrs on the trot my butternut squashes have failed to fruit ( this year i've not even seen a flower emoticon ) ...... I REALLY wish I knew where i'm going wrong ! * sigh *

Butternut Squash Date: Tue, 13 Aug 08:41
Author: Default User IconMadge Location: Hertfordshire UK Profile
I think it is our summers which are going wrong Mrs O - this sort of veg needs long hot summers to fully ripen. Here is some info about a varieties specially bred for the British climate:-

http://gardenofeaden.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/how-to-grow-butternut-squash-from-seed.html

Butternut Squash Date: Wed, 14 Aug 15:03
Author: Default User Iconkathrynp Location: south cumbria Profile
We have had some very good years and some very poor years with butternuts. This year the one in the greenhouse has 7 butternuts on it and has taken over the entire greenhouse. The bees are constantly in there doing their thing. The out side one has 1 flower but doesn't look as though it will produce a butternut. Seems to be that growing under glass/polythene seems to be the way to go and the very hot weather has obviously been a helpful factor. Just been presented with a patty pan squash which is beautiful (not grown by us) but not really sure what to do with it. It's a little work of art.

Back to Forum

Home   Album   Cottage   Garden   Wildlife   Play area   Market   Forum   Chat